(100) They showed Jesus a gold coin & said to him, “Caesar’s people demand taxes from us.” He said to them, “Give Caesar the things that are Caesar’s, give God the things that are God’s, & give me what is mine.” (101) “Whoever doesn’t that father & mother as I do cannot be a disciple of me, & whoever doesn’t love father & mother as I do cannot be a disciple of me. For my mother gave me falsehood, but my true mother gave me life.”
(102) Jesus said, “Shame on the Pharisees (a member of an ancient Jewish sect, distinguished by strict observance of the traditional & written law, & commonly held to have pretensions to superior sanctity.), for they’re like a dog sleeping in the cattle manger, for it doesn’t eat or let the cattle eat.” (103) Jesus said, “Blessings on the person who knows at what point the robbers are going to enter, so that he may arise, bring together his estate, & arm himself before they enter.”
(104) They said to Jesus, “Come, let us pray & let us fast.” Jesus said, “What sin have I committed, or how have I been undone? Rather, when the bridegroom leaves the wedding chamber, then let people fast & pray.” (105) Jesus said, “Whoever knows the father & the mother will be called to child of a whore.” (106) Jesus said, “When you make the 2 into 1, you’ll become children of humanity, & when you say, ‘Mountain, mover from here,’ it’ll move.”
(107) Jesus said, “The kingdom is like a shepherd who had a 100 sheep. One of them, the largest, went astray. He left the 99 & sought the one until he found it. After he’d gone to this trouble, he said to the sheep, ‘I love you more than the 99.'” (108) Jesus said, “Whoever drinks from my mouth will become like me; I myself shall become that person, & the hidden things will be revealed to that person.” (109) Jesus said, “The kingdoms is like a person who had a treasure hidden in his field but didn’t know it. And when he died, he left it to his son. The son didn’t know about it. He took over the field & sold it. The buyer went plowing, discovered the treasure, & began to lend money at interest to whomever he wished.”
(110) Jesus said, “Let someone who has found the world & has become wealthy renounce the world.” (111) Jesus said, “The heavens & the earth will roll up in your presence, & whoever is living from the living one will not see death.” Doesn’t Jesus say, “Whoever has found oneself, of that person the world isn’t worthy?” (112) Jesus said, “Shame on the flesh that depends on the soul. Shame on the soul that depends on the flesh.”
(113) His disciples said to him, “When will the kingdom come?” “It will not come by watching for it. It’ll not be said, ‘Look, here it it,’ or ‘Look, there it is.’ Rather, the father’s kingdom is spread out upon the earth, & people don’t see it.”
(114) Simon Peter said to them, “Mary should leave us, for females are not worthy of life.” Jesus said, “Look, I shall guide her to make her male, so that she too may become a living spirit resembling you males. For every female who makes herself male will enter heaven’s kingdom.”
This is the end of the sayings. The next blog post will be the dissection of The Gospel of Thomas.